Thursday, October 2, 2008

Hmmm. What should my title be?

Dear Friend,
I thought you might like to know a little bit about my family. My parents are still happily married. Dad runs a chain of USA Olympics retail stores but my Mom teaches kindergarten. I have three younger brothers and for the sake of anonymity I will not use their real names. Since they were very young I have been convinced that Alek will be a soccer star, Michael will win an Academy Award for best director, and Andrew will find a cure for cancer and build the first teleporter. However, I am also convinced that none of them will ever beat me a chess or a 40 yard sprint. Alek and Michael both go to my old high school and last week was their homecoming week. They both had dates for the homecoming dance and were really excited. I was very happy for them. The bombarded me with questions all week because they know how good their big bro is with the ladies. A few days before the dance I noticed that Michael was not his cheerfully annoying self. He looked very upset and their was evidence that he had been crying. This worried me because Michael never cries about anything. He answered my questions of concern by slamming his bedroom door in my face. Instead of kicking the door down I decided to give him some alone time. It turned out that Michael's date had sent him a text message saying that she didn't want to be his "date". She just wanted to go as friends. Apparently the text had been very rude and hurtful. I was surprised by this because it seemed like one of those things that Michael would just brush of. When questioned about his date in previous weeks he had acted like it was no big deal. Apparently it was a big deal. Two days before the dance Michael received another text message. Now his "friend" didn't want to go to the dance with him at all. By now Michael had been able to lock down his emotions so this latest development didn't seem to bother him. But I, being the intuitive older brother, knew otherwise. I convinced Michael that if this girl was going to treat him like this them she didn't deserve him. I tried to steer clear of cheesy phrases like " there are other fish in the sea" and "one day you'll find the right person". He went to the dance with some friends and eventually hooked up with another girl. This experience changed the way I think of Michael. He has real feelings for people and things that I never knew. There is a whole side of him that I had never seen. Him and I are similar in that we never show how we feel on the outside. I feel like our relationship has been strengthened because he gave me a peak behind his emotion wall.

A few days ago I confirmed something about my fried Bob that I have suspected for a while. Bob's mom doesn't think that Bob does enough "stuff". She thinks he should be out socializing with his friends more. I have to admit she has a point. Whenever I ask Bob if he wants to go to a party or see a movie with some other people he politely refuses. His Mom is always giving him movie times or telling him what bands are coming to Denver. It's almost like she is embarrassed of her son. Bob's mom should love him no matter what and I just don't get the feeling that she does. Bob likes to do other stuff. He writes poetry, does acylic paintings and plays the drums. He also spends a lot of time reading. He has many other gifts that his parents obviously don't find to be viable. From this experience I learned that not everyones has great parents like I do. For the longest time I thought that my parents were average. I guess this isn't the case. Some parents think that their children need to be perfect but their dedication to perfection may have an opposite affect.

What does it mean to feel infinite? Can it even be defined? Could feeling infinite be a moment in time when you feel truly connected to the world. Everything falls into place and for an instant you believe that anything is possible. Hearing the words "I feel infinite" imediately sends shivers up my spine. The feeling cannot be fully put into words because it is indescribable. Feeling infinate is a feeling of being connected to every place and every time in history.

Love always,
Sean

No comments: